Updates to Map of Life infrastructure
Over the past year, we have been overhauling our database so that we can improve the performance of mol.org and thus providing you -our users- with a better experience. It is a real challenge to manage and visualize large volumes of data, and this change is part of our on-going effort to improve the efficiency of our website and spatial analyses. We have also developed some new features for the Global Biodiversity Mountain Assessment Mountain Portal 2.0.
Here are some new features you can enjoy:
- Additional data, including more range maps, updated point occurrences, local inventories, and more.
- Faster map loading speeds, particularly on the species page.
- Descriptions and metrics for mountain regions.
- Language support for an additional 4 languages (Spanish, French, German, and Chinese) in the species and regions pages. Portuguese will be coming soon!
- The Datasets page is now live.
In order to increase the loading speed of the species maps, some features are temporarily unavailable. This includes uncertainty buffers around point occurrences, as well as uncertainty and temporal point filters. We are working on bringing these features back without compromising the efficiency of the loading the map visualizations.
While these changes may seem subtle, we are really excited about all of the work that has been going on behind-the-scenes in order to increase our ability to develop better products for future initiatives.
Check out these new changes and let us know what you think! https://mol.org/feedback